Day-trips and weekend getaways in Stafford, Virginia
Just 40 miles south of D.C. sits a community along Interstate-95 that is waiting to welcome you for a relaxing escape. Whether you like to plan ahead or are looking to take a spontaneous trip, consider Stafford County, Virginia.
As the local tourism office, we offer a one-stop-shop for finding the latest events, trip ideas, and inspiration for day-trips and full weekend getaways in D.C.’s backyard.
Being so close to the nation’s capital, you’ll spend less time driving and more time exploring. The hardest part is choosing what to explore first.
A history lovers’ destination – Find hidden gems in unexpected places
Fascinated by George Washington? Visit and tour the replica of his childhood home at Ferry Farm, where he grew up on his family’s farm from age 6 to 22. The exhibit The Science of History at Ferry Farm with colonial and Civil War artifacts excavated at Ferry Farm and windows into the Archaeology Lab, you can see archaeologists identify and study thousands of artifacts found at Ferry Farm. There’s so much Civil War history in the area. Explore Stafford’s various attractions and landmarks like Chatham Manor, the Stafford Civil War Park, and so much more. African American history also plays a big role in Stafford. Take some time to learn about the Trail to Freedom, an educational driving tour that retraces the routes of freedom-seeking men, women, and children through the Stafford area.
Elevated entertainment and renowned artists
If you’re looking for unique entertainment and a rich arts and cultural experience, visit Riverside Center for the Performing Arts or at Gari Melchers Home and Studio at Belmont. Book a matinee or dinner and show at Riverside Center for the Performing Arts where you can find top-local talent performing traditional and favorite Broadway-style shows. Take some time and explore the historical grounds, art studio and gallery of the American artist, Gari Melchers and his wife Corinne.
Spend some time exploring the relaxing outdoors
Hike the trails of Government Island and discover where the sandstone for some of D.C.’s most influential buildings came from. Fun fact, the U.S. Capitol and the White House were quarried from sandstone on Stafford’s Government Island. There are also quite a few places to hike or kayak along the Potomac River like Crow’s Nest Natural Area Preserve and Widewater State Park.
Hand-crafted traditional beers and a Tuscany-inspired winery
Taste your way through Stafford’s local flavors and sip Virginia’s finest assortment of beer, wine, and food. Explore 6 Bears & A Goat Brewing Company, Adventure Brewing Company, Barley Naked Brewing Company, Highmark Brewery, Wild Run Brewing Company, and Potomac Point Vineyard and Winery for a variety of atmospheres, local beer and wine, and opportunities to connect and gather with your spouses, friends, and family.
Trip planning made easy as 1-2-3
Whether you’re looking to spend a day, or two, or more in D.C.’s backyard, Stafford, Virginia offers a list of the top 10 itineraries to minimize your planning time so you can have more time exploring.
- If you’re looking for a weekend away with your spouse or partner, with ample photo ops and cozy moments at your fingertips, check out our Romantic Getaways itinerary
- See where the locals drink and hop around with our Beer Lovers itinerary
- If you’re looking to take a short-trip on a budget, check out our Free Things to Do itinerary
- Planning a bachelorette or bachelor weekend? Grab your best buddies or gal pals to enjoy our Guys Getaway Weekend and Girlfriends Getaway Weekend itineraries
- Wanting to pack the car and road-trip with your family? Check out our Multi-Generational Family Fun itinerary that caters towards experiences for all ages
- If you’re looking to travel and experience dog-friendly places, explore our Dog-Friendly Fun itinerary
- Are you looking to jump back in time and learn rich American history? Discover our History Lovers’ Exploration itinerary
- Eager to just relax outside in the great outdoors? Experience our Explore Where American History Meets the Great Outdoors itinerary
- If you’re looking to immerse yourself in the local arts and entertainment scene, check out our Famous art studios and Broadway-style entertainment itinerary
Sometimes we want the flexibility of planning our own trips and sometimes we don’t. If you’re looking to explore trip options yourself, discover our Itinerary Builder where you can pick and choose and mix and match from the best attractions and restaurants in Stafford and have an itinerary emailed directly to your inbox.
Whether you’re looking for the flexibility or just want someone else to plan the whole thing for you, Stafford, Virginia has options to meet your needs. Take your experience on the road and tour Stafford, Virginia.