The Fall is upon us, and what better way to soak up the fall weather than with fall festivals, Oktoberfests, races, local art events, history, outdoors, and so much more. To make trip planning easy, we’ve provided a one-stop-shop for inspiration and filling up your fall weekend calendar:
If you like to stay active and spend time in the great outdoors, check out the following ideas:
- Widewater State Park is hosting multiple events in September that will be fun for the whole family! Come and learn about invaders and life in the dark! These events will teach you about different animals that call Widewater State Park home.
- Maybe you enjoy a faster pace in which case you could participate in the Go For Bo 5k happening on September 17. You can enjoy this event in person or on your own! Walking or running, its all for a great cause benefiting Helping Children Worldwide and the Mercy Hospital and Child Rescue Center in Bo, Sierra Leon.
- Explore a Guided Woodlands Hike at Gari Melchers Home and Studio. Held monthly, you can enjoy a hike and conversation from the Virginia Master Naturalists, which provides an interactive discussion about the historic ruins of Belmont’s past.
- Sign up for the 2022 Stafford Open on October 1 at Curtis Memorial Park. Here’s your chance to have a friendly competition, explore a new or familiar disc golf course, and support the Stafford area’s Special Olympics program.
- Looking for another opportunity to run? Look no further than the Halloween 5k and Monster Mile where you can dress up in your best Halloween costume for a chance to win prizes.
History is alive in Stafford all-year round, yet Fall is an amazing time to learn outside of the classroom. Check out these ideas:
- George Washington’s Boyhood Home at Ferry Farm is hosting Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community Day, which provides an interactive experience.
- Chatham Manor is still hosting their History at Sunset walks! On October 1, join history lovers and park rangers to focus on the lesser known history of the property. The final walk of the year will focus on the Trailblazers on Chatham: Women Who Made History!
Interested in cultural arts? Check out this list of upcoming arts and theater events:
- Catch a dinner and show at Riverside Center for the Performing Arts. This fall, Ghost the Musical will be playing September 14 through November 6, 2022. This show is a timeless fantasy about the power of love and is based off of a 1990’s movie starring Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze. Everyone’s favorite Buddy Holly is also coming to Riverside Center for the Performing Arts! Todd Meredith and The Rave-Ons will fill the air with Rock ‘n’ Roll and you don’t want to miss it.
- Join local artist in the streets of Stafford at the Via Colori Stafford Street Art Festival on September 24 through 25. This event will include live music, food, and watching artists transform the streets of our community into works of art.
- Gari Melchers Home and Studio is hosting a Curator’s Tour on September 25 where you and your family can join in for a behind-the-scenes look at the museum operation at Gari Melchers Home and Studio. They’re also hosting Art After Hours, which is a great way to experience local bluegrass music, taste from local food trucks, and visit the studio and galleries of American Artist, Gari Melchers.
- On October 1 through 2, the Stafford Spotsy Arts Festival is sure to be an amazing event for the whole family. Here you will be able to walk around and mingle with artists while you shop! Come find sculptures, pottery, and paintings along with a host of other mediums as you stroll through the tents of artists at this amazing event.
Our breweries and wineries also offer many opportunities for family fun; check out the fall lineup:
- Adventure Brewing will be hosting their 7th annual Oktoberfest on September 17. This event includes live music all day, food trucks, local vendors, and, of course, the best of local beer.
- Fredtoberfest is being held for the first time at Fredericksburg Nationals Stadium and is being hosted by Stafford’s own 6 Bears and a Goat on October 1. This event is sure to wet your whistle as the first annual one-of-a-kind German-style Oktoberfest celebration.
- Join Barley Naked for the Barley Naked Beer Mile and Oktoberfest on October 15 as runners are challenged to drink four beers over the course of a 1-mile run.
- Hop over to Highmark Brewery on October 15 for their Harvest Moon Festival, which will feature local artisans, crafters, food trucks, a new beer release, and more.
- Friday night music is back at Potomac Point Winery, and check out their website to reserve your cozy wine tent this fall for a unique experience.
Festivals and fairs aren’t lacking in Stafford this fall! Check out these family-oriented events:
- On October 1, join Stafford County Parks and Recreation for their annual Fall Family Festival! With hay rides, food trucks, children’s activities, and pumpkin archery, you don’t want to miss this opportunity to make memories with your family. Also, the 10th annual Pumpkin Derby will be featured during the festival; bring your whole family out for this free event at Pratt Park.
- You also don’t want to miss the Stafford Fair, held from October 13-16 at the University of Mary Washington, Stafford Campus. Find carnival rides and games, food and vendors, along with the Miss Stafford Fair pageant.
There’s so much to explore in Stafford this fall season. For a full list of fall events in Stafford County, visit our events page. If you’re looking to make a weekend trip and visit multiple events, consider booking a hotel room using our easy-to-booking feature.