Diverse Sports Destination in D.C.’s Backyard
Get in the game–hold your event in Stafford
Stafford County: The go-to place for sports tournaments!
Located halfway between Washington, D.C. and Richmond, Stafford links two metropolitan cities with sophisticated assets. Stafford County, Virginia, is a go-to place for sports tournament rightsholders looking for a location that has ample facilities for events, hotels, and other infrastructure to support players on and off the field. Stafford is within a day’s drive of 60% of the U.S. population, making it a desirable location for drivability, and easily traveled tournaments. The county is located right off the interstate with access to three nearby airports: Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, Dulles International Airport and Richmond International Airport.
One of Tour Stafford, Virginia’s goals as an organization is to make it easy and convenient for sports rightsholders to choose Stafford. We have competitive incentive packages for sports operators to take advantage of, unique attraction experiences, and a dedicated staff that takes a partner approach where we continue to go above and beyond and exceed a planner’s expectations. Sports are planned different in Stafford, Virginia. A diverse sports destination in D.C.’s backyard positions Stafford as an ideal location for any sporting event.
Hotel rooms: 5,400
Hotel tax rate: 7 percent
Major sports facilities:
- Embrey Mill Park is a multi-sport complex that boasts eight rectangle fields and a practice field for soccer, lacrosse, football, and field hockey.
- Jeff Rouse Swim and Sports Center is an Olympic-sized, 76,000-square foot aquatic venue with a 50-meter by 25-yard competition pool.
- Fishing tournaments on the Potomac River has caught the attention of anglers on the national scene. From bass fisherman, to those seeking a challenge of the emerging snakehead, fisherman rave about how the tidal influence in Stafford makes the fishing experience more fun and challenging.
- Chichester Park offers five lighted baseball and softball fields, and the region is home to the FredNats Baseball Stadium, with seating for 5,000, a 300-seat club facility, and 13 suites.
Specific tournaments hosted:
- Fishing: Kayak Bass Fishing Trail Series; Snakehead Shootout
- Baseball: Babe Ruth 13-15-Year-Old World Series
- Golf: AJGA Junior All-Star Tournament
- Swimming: NCAP Long Course, PWSC 12 & Under Champs
- Soccer: WAGS Tournament, The Nationals Cup, The Premier Cup
Unique attractions in Stafford, Virginia:
- Home to George Washington’s Boyhood Home at Ferry Farm – where the ‘chopping tree’ tale originated. Visit the home where George Washington grew up and lived from age 6 to 22. His family moved to a farm in Stafford called the “Home Farm” but later became known as Ferry Farm because people crossed the Rappahannock River on a ferry from the farm to the town of Fredericksburg. Take an interactive guided tour of Washington’s interpretive replica house.
- Government Island – famous sandstone used to build buildings in the nation’s capital. Visit the historic island where the US Government’s most famous buildings were born. Home to Aquia Sandstone or also known as the “freestone”, this 18th and 19th century quarry provided materials used to construct the U.S. Capitol, the White House, and other government buildings in Washington, DC. Today, the 17-acre park provides hiking trails around the island, taking visitors to the sites where they can look, feel, climb, and experience the chiseled stone.
Wanna submit an RFP?
Our team is ready.
Fill out the form below to find out how Stafford County, VA could be the sporting event that is truly an event! A member of our team will contact you and then we’ll get customizin’.
We should probably make another sports pun like “Score!” or “We’re gonna hit it out of the park!” But we won’t. Or did we just do that?
Stafford County is a partner with Northern Virginia Counties/SportsNOVA, which hosts multi-sport events.
To learn more, For help with blocking rooms and other services for your guests, contact Lisa Logan, Tourism Program Director or download our sports planning guide.
Contact Lisa Logan, Tourism Program Director, for more information and assistance.