Due to its excellent location at the intersections of I-95 and U.S. 1 with U.S. 17, Stafford is easily accessible by plane, train, bus and automobile. Amtrak and Greyhound are just minutes away in the neighboring City of Fredericksburg. Nearby international airports are available in Washington, DC and Richmond, and non-commercial planes can land locally at Stafford Regional Airport. Rental car services are available. Commuter rail (VRE) also provides easy access for day trips to Washington, DC. FRED bus provides limited local public transportation.
- Reagan National Airport (45 min. N)
- Dulles International Airport (1 hr. NW)
- Richmond International Airport (1 hr. S)
- Baltimore Washington International Airport (1.5 hr. NE)
- Stafford Regional Airport: A 5,000 ft by 100 ft instrument runway, full parallel taxi-ways, high-speed exit systems, Jet-A and Av-Gas fuel storage facilities, and 25 acres of paved aircraft parking aprons (no commercial service available). Location: 75 Aviation Way, Fredericksburg, VA 22406. 540-658-1212
- Fredericksburg Regional Transit (FRED): This bus system provides accessible transportation through a deviated fixed route bus service. Location: 1400 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Fredericksburg, VA 22401. 540-372-1222
- Greyhound: Location: 1400 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Fredericksburg, VA 22401. 540-373-2103.
- Amtrak: The nearest station* is in Fredericksburg, just across the river from Stafford. Drive times vary from 10-20 minutes from hotels. (*See also VRE commuter trains below). Location: Caroline St. & Lafayette Blvd., Fredericksburg, VA 22401. 800-872-7245.
- Virginia Railway Express (VRE): These commuter trains run weekdays only (north in the mornings and south in the afternoons), and connect to the Washington, DC metro and bus systems. You can ride the VRE all the way to Union Station. These trains are ideal for day trips to Washington, DC. One-way tickets can be purchased for about $10.00 at the stations from ticket vending machines (bring a credit / debit card). NOTE: Parking is for residents only, so consider a taxi to the station or a shuttle from your hotel. Don't forget to schedule a pick-up upon return. Location: Brooke or Leeland Station. 703-684-1001.